Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Old School Halloween Costumes




Hello and welcome to the first day of Countdown to Halloween!  I will start this off with old school Halloween costumes.

When I was a kid, there weren't all the amazing and plentiful costumes that are available today. 

Most of them were like above.  They would come packaged in a cardboard box with cellophane on the top, much like those donuts sometimes come so you could see the mask that you were buying. If you were lucky there might be a photo of the costume itself on the box, but many times it was a "surprise".

The mask was a flimsy cartoonish plastic face mask (except that Darth Vadar one I would have been proud to wear that one as a kid) that was uncomfortably hot, hard to breathe in and to see out of.  It was held on your face by an equally annoying elastic band that would get caught in your hair and hurt when you took off.

The costume itself what an ill-fitting cheap vinyl, sort of the what Dollar store tablecloths are made out of with bias tape about the neck and a deep slit in the back so you could get into and the strings in back to hold it on.  Trying to get that off if you had to go to the bathroom was a nightmare and it usually ended up in rip in it somewhere trying to get it back on.

I think the worse one was one that I won when I was in the 2nd Grade through a local Children's television show my Mom signed us up for "Engineer John".  It is the first thing I ever won and I came home every day hoping it had come in the mail,  I was hoping for a Princess one and that year the would have looked a little like the He-Man one on the left above, except with a little more pint and a tiara on top.

When it finally arrived and I opened the package much to my dismay was devil costume mean-looking plastic red mask the costume itself was white made out of the cheap vinyl.  My Mom said, "Isn't it exciting to win something?".   The excitement wasn't the word for it and why the heck would they make a devil costume white?  It even has a flat vinyl white pointed tail.   The only cool thing about it is it came with a red plastic pitchfork that I would chase my brother around with.

I begrudgingly wore it that year but I was none too careful in trying to get it back on after a bathroom run as I didn't want to have to wear it again next year. 

What are some of your costume memory nightmares or childhood memories?  Please feel free to leave in the comments section.

Please be check out the links of the other participants of Countdown to Halloween at the link below.

Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment